Cinnamon rolls gotta be one of my favorite recipes of all – I used to love visiting my local cinnabun from time to time. They’re also super easy to make at home – I have made a recipe a few days ago and you can check it out. I have also been working on a healthier version, and I think this quite sealed the deal. I drizzled a little bit of icing sugar mixed with 1 tbsp of milk and butter on top but you can instead use any healthier option such as honey, maple syrup, or agave syrup 🙂
Healthier Butter-Free Cinnamon Rolls
healthier version of cinnamon rolls, lower in fat and sugar
- For the dough:
- 1 + 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp low-fat margarine or sunflower/vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk warmed up to room temperature
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1.5 tbsp coconut sugar
For the filling:
- In a small bowl, mix the yeast with 1/4 cup of milk and 1 tbsp of flour to activate the yeast then set aside
- To another bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt and butter and mix together
- Do a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture then mix
- Gradually add the milk to make a soft and firm dough. Work it enough so it becomes softer.
- Cover and let rise for 2 hours. You can place it in an oven with the lights turned on or under a blanket.
- When the dough has risen, flatten it in order to make a square.
- Mix the sugar with the applesauce then spread it over the dough
- Finish off with some cinnamon
- Start loosely rolling the dough starting from the length then cut into pieces. Some applesauce might escape during the process, try to keep as much as possible on the dough and spread the rest over the cinnamon rolls once they’re cut into pieces and ready to be baked.
- Place in a tray next to one another then bake for about 35-45min at 380°F.
- Serve with your favorite cream cheese mixed with some sweeteneer if you wish, or any other syrup such as maple syrup, agave syrup or honey