I am obsessed with tomato soup. Yes, I’m also one of these weird people who (sometimes) drink tomato juice as if it was a completely sane thing to do (hey, don’t judge). Back home in Morocco eating tomatoes is a staple. If your house does not have bread or tomatoes, is it even a house ? I drink tomato soup as often as I can, but let me tell you. This recipe I made the other day is the best, creamiest tomato soup I have ever tasted. I am done with industrial soups. Seriously. Hope you try it for yourself, and why not ass a grilled cheese on the side ? Cause grilled cheese makes everything better.
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil (I used vegetable but olive oil works as well)
- Salt, pepper, dried basil to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of water + 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube OR 1/2 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- In a large pot, lightly heat the oil and the butter then remove from the heat.
- Finelly dice the onions and throw them into the pot. Put back on the heat.
- Finelly dice the tomatoes and add them to the pan.
- Finelly dice the red bell pepper and add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for about 10 min
- Mix the stock cube with the water and add it to the pot.
- Let simmer for another 5 min and add the bay leaves and the basil
- Let simmer for another 10 min on low heat. 5 min before the end add the salt and pepper to taste.